Dear Friends and Members of the Springfield UU Church,
We’ll gather for a very special worship service tomorrow, July 8th at 10. Please come join us where You’ll be invited to:
* hear about the book “Bread & Roses, Too”, the Vt Reads book this year about the garment workers strike in Lowell Mass, in 1911, as seen from the perspective of 2 kids caught in that exciting time in history
* receive a free copy of the book for your reading pleasure this summer courtesy of the Vt Humanities Council
* learn and sing some uplifting labor songs performed by Laurel Green and Steve Crofter and learn a dance to one of these songs
* learn about Vermont and US history, and make connections between the US in 1911 and now
* participate in intergenerational conversation and connection ~ kids stay in the service. The book is by renown Vt children’s author, Katherine Paterson, and is suitable for both youth and adult audiences
* be curious about a technological innovation being introduced tomorrow (just come and see)
* let your soul be soothed by the simple sounds of the mountain dulcimer.
* drink in the aroma of real roses
* Roses, Too? Come explore what workers then and now really long for
* learn about what is being done now by creative individuals to help the heal injustices and income inequality
* support the non-profit TogetherRising, assisting refugees at the southern border
* search your own soul for what You’re called to do
* enjoy delicious snacks prepared by the Allman’s for coffee hour
* stay for a small group discussion on all of this after coffee hour facilitated by Rev. Mellen
This promises to be a beautiful, uplifting service, and I hope You’ll join us for the morning.
We also have a very special event tomorrow afternoon for Reading Frederick Douglass, his famous speech from 1852. The details are below. I hope You’ll stay for that as well if You feel moved.
It will be great to gather in community and strengthen ourselves as agents of healing this beautiful and broken world. See You at church!